In which of the following cases Supreme Court invoked its power under Article 142?
Answer – D
The Supreme Court has invoked its extraordinary powers to do complete justice under Article 142 of the Constitution and ordered the release of A.G. Perarivalan in former Prime Minister Rajiv gandhi assassination case.
What necessitated this?
- The court ordered Perarivalan’s freedom after considering his extended detention of almost 30 years.
- The court used its constitutional rights because of the extended wait and the Governor’s unwillingness to take a decision on the pardon petition.
What is Article 142?
From the Union carbide case in 1989 to the Ayodhya Ram Mandir judgment in 2019, the top court has many a time invoked its extraordinary powers under Article 142 of the Constitution.
- Article 142 “provide(s) a unique power to the Supreme Court, to do “complete justice” between the parties,, where at times law or statute may not provide a remedy, the Court can extend itself to put a quietus to a dispute in a manner which would befit the facts of the case.
Consider the following statements:
1. Ethanol is the organic compound Methyl Alcohol which is produced from biomass.
2. It is also an ingredient in alcoholic beverages.
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
Answer – A
The Union Cabinet has approved amendments to The national policy on Biofuels 2018.
As per the amendments: The deadline for fuel firms to raise the ratio of ethanol in gasoline to 20% will be 2025.
From April 1, 2023, the policy of introducing 20% ethanol will take effec
Ethanol blending -. India’s journey so far: As of March 13, 2022, India had attained a 9.45 percent ethanol blend. By the conclusion of the fiscal year 2022, this is expected to touch 10%.
What is ethanol?
It is the organic compound Ethyl Alcohol which is produced from biomass. It is also an ingredient in alcoholic beverages.
- It has a higher octane number than gasoline, hence improves the petrol octane number.
- Since ethanol contains oxygen, it is supposed to help in complete combustion of fuel, resulting in lower emissions.
- Sources: Ethanol can be produced from sugarcane, maize, wheat, etc which are having high starch content.
Which state government recently (in May’22) signed an MoU with the All India Chess Federation (AICF) for the 44th Chess Olympiad 2022?
- The All India Chess Federation (AICF) signed a memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the government of Tamil Nadu (TN) for the upcoming 44th Chess Olympiad 2022, organised by the Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE – International Chess Federation), which is set to be held from 28th July 2022 to 10th August 2022.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Sanjay Kapoor, President of AICF and MK Stalin, Chief Minister (CM) of Tamil Nadu.
- For the first time, India is set to host the world’s biggest chess event.
Name the author of the book, "A Place Called Home," which will be released in June 2022.
Bestselling author Preeti Shenoy is set to publish a new novel titled “A Place Called Home”, a story set in a
coffee estate in Sakleshpur, Karnataka with a strong female protagonist at its core. The new novel is about
secrets, family, and finding yourself.
- Preeti Shenoy has authored around 15 novels which include, The Magic Mindset, When Love Came Calling,
Wake Up Life is Calling, Life is What You Make it, The Rule Breakers, and A Hundred Little Flames.
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to build an identical pair of two satellites, DISHA-L&H to Study the Upper Atmosphere. In DISHA, What does D stand for?
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to build an identical pair of satellites/twin satellites namely ‘DISHA (Disturbed and quiet time Ionosphere-thermosphere System at High Altitudes)’ in L and H variants, for studying the earth’s upper atmosphere. The twin Aeronomy mission, “DISHA-H&L mission” conceptualized by ISRO.
- The twin aeronomy mission is aimed at capturing latitudinal and longitudinal effects of space weather events on the Earth’s upper atmosphere.
- They will be launched in the low earth orbit, about 500 kilometres above earth.
- DISHA satellites will study space weather and solar-terrestrial interactions. This will help provide advance warnings based on space weather so that preventive actions can be taken quickly.
- The two satellites will carry identical payloads. DISHA H&L will add to the space and ground-based infrastructure for achieving a better understanding of the space weather effects, which will eventually lead to better planning for the protection of the space and ground-based assets.
The data generated by the proposed ISRO’s solar mission Aditya L1 and by DISHA satellites would help to understand the Sun-Earth linkages
Who was recently appointed as the Chairman of Bombay Stock Exchange Limited?
The BSE (Formerly Bombay Stock Exchange) Limited appointed Subhash Sheoratan Mundra (SS Mundra), Public Interest Director, BSE as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the company. Mundra retired as Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in July 2017 after completing a stint of three years.
Who was recently received an Honorary Commander of the Order of The British Empire (CBE)?
Ajay Piramal, Chairman of Mumbai based Piramal Group, has received an Honorary Commander of the Order of The British Empire (CBE) by Her Majesty the Queen. Ajay Piramal received the award for services to the UK-India trade relationship as India co-chair of the UK-India CEO forum.
Which organisation recently (in May’22) released the 2nd edition of ‘Global Land Outlook (GLO2)’ report with the finding that there are 23 countries that have experienced drought emergencies in the last two years (2020–2022)?
In accordance with the 2nd edition of ‘Global Land Outlook (GLO2)’ report released by the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), there are 23 countries who have experienced drought emergencies in the last two years (2020-2022), including Pakistan.
- This report releases ahead of the UN Desertification and Drought Day on June 17, 2022 that will held on the theme ‘Rising up from drought together‘. Its global observance will takes place in Madrid, Spain.
- Notably, the highest total number of humans affected by drought was in Asia.
Which state recently named "Nanjarayan Tank" as its 17th bird sanctuary?
The Tamil nadu State Minister of Forests, K Ramachandran announced in the Legislative Assembly of Tamilnadu for the creation of Nanjarayan Tank in Tiruppur district as a Bird Sanctuary with the budgetary support of Rs 7.5 crore. Nanjarayan Tank is the 17th Bird Sanctuary in the State.
- Nanjarayan Tank was built by the then local King Nanjarayan as a source for irrigation.
Consider the following statements:
1. SRESTHA-G initiative is started by Maharashtra which aims ontransforming key health delivery systems.
2. World Bank granted USD 350 million for this project.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Answer – B
The World Bank has granted USD 350 million for Gujarat’s “Systems Reform Endeavors for Transformed Health Achievement,” or the SRESTHA-G initiative.
- This project aims on transforming key health delivery systems in Gujarat.
- It will also focus on the disease surveillance systems’ capacity.
RFID can communicate at:
1. Low frequency (LF).
2. High frequency (HF).
3. Ultra-high frequency (UHF).
Choose the correct answer using the codes given below:
The decision was taken amid heightened security threats to the pilgrimage.
Radio frequency Identification is a wireless tracking system that consists of tags and readers.
- Radio waves are used to communicate information/identity of objects or people.
- The tags can carry encrypted information, serial numbers and short descriptions.
How do they work?
RFID tags use an integrated circuit and an antenna to communicate with a reader using radio waves at several different frequencies – low frequency (LF), high frequency (HF), and ultra-high frequency (UHF).
- The message sent back by the tag in form or radio waves is translated into data and analysed by the host computer system.
- Unlike Barcodes, RFIDs do not require direct line of sight to identify objects.
What is the theme of International Museum Day (IMD) 2022 that was observed across the globe on 18th May 2022?
International Museum Day (IMD) is annually observed across the globe on 18th May to create awareness about the Museums which are important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.
- The theme of International Museum Day 2022 is “The Power of Museum”.