Consider the following statements regarding Khelo India scheme-
1. It is flagship central sector scheme of Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
2. It also focuses on promotion of rural and indigenous/tribal games.
Which of the above statements are correct?
- ‘Promotion of rural and indigenous/tribal games’ component of KIS is specifically dedicated to the development and promotion of rural and indigenous/tribal games in the country.
- KIS aims at infusing sports culture and achieving sporting excellence in the country thus allowing the populace to harness the power of sports through its cross-cutting influence.
- It is the flagship Central Sector Scheme of Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- Following major Indigenous/traditional games have been identified:
- Mallakhamb, MP -It is a combination of Yoga, Gymnastics, and Martial Arts. Many types of Mallakhamb as Pole, Rope, Hanging, Niradhar (without support), on cane, on floating platform, Mallakhamb with weapons etc.
- Kalari payattu, Kerala -It is a form of Marital Art. It has different techniques like meipayattu (physical body exercise), vadipayattu (fight using sticks), valpayattu (fight using swords) etc.
- Gatka, Punjab -Traditional martial art form, that is historically associated with the Sikh gurus. Stick fighting between two or more practitioners, with wooden sticks (called Soti) intended to simulate swords.
- Thang ta, Manipur-Traditional martial art also called HUYEN LALLONG (“method of safe-guarding”).
- Yogasana -Describes a seated posture in yoga typically used for meditation, such as a basic cross-legged position. Examples: Padmasana (lotus pose), Siddhasana (perfect or accomplished pose), Vajrasana (thunderbolt pose) etc.
- Silambam, TN -Weapon-based Indian martial art, but also traditionally practised by the Tamil community of Sri Lanka and Malaysia.
Consider the following statements regarding Olive Ridley Turtle-
1. It is found primarily in the warm tropical regions of the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic oceans.
2. Its IUCN status in the Red list is endangered.
Which of the above statements are correct?
- 2022 arribada (mass-nesting phenomenon) is the most delayed mass nesting recorded in Gahirmatha.
- Gahirmatha (Odisha) is the world’s largest rookery of olive ridley’s followed by Rushikulya.
- Olive Ridley turtles di g holes on the beach at night time creating a cavity. They lay 40-50 eggs in each hole and cover it again with sand. Before sunrise, the turtles return to the sea, leaving behind the eggs, which hatch after 40-60 days.
About Olive Ridley
- It gets its name from the olive green color of its heart-shaped shell.
- Found primarily in the warm tropical regions of the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic oceans.
- Threats: Accidental killing through entanglement in trawl nets; extensively poached for their meat, shell and leather; warmer sea surface temperatures etc.
- IUCN Status: Vulnerable.
- Protection: Schedule I of the Indian Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, CITES Appendix I.
- Government Initiatives
- Operation Save Kurma by Wildlife Crime Control Bureau.
- Odisha government has made it mandatory for trawls to use Turtle Excluder Devices (TEDs).
- Operation Oliva exercise to ensure the safe mid-sea sojourn of breeding Olive Ridley sea.
Which of the following is not an Indian city on UNESCO's Creative Cities Network?
- Recently, Kozhikode was proposed by the Kerala Institute of Local Administration (KILA) to be branded as a UNESCO’s City of Literature, which is part of a wider UNESCO’s Creative Cities Network (UCCN).
- UCCN was created in 2004 to promote cooperation with and among cities that have identified creativity as a strategic factor for sustainable urban development.
- It covers seven creative fields: Crafts & Folk Art, Design, Film, Gastronomy, Literature, Music, and Media Arts.
- 6 Indian cities are included on the list- Hyderabad (gastronomy), Mumbai (film), Varanasi (music), Chennai (music), Jaipur (crafts and folk art) and the latest addition, Srinagar (crafts and folk art).
Which of the following naval vessels was presented with President Colour recently?
- It has recently been awarded to INS Valsura.
- It is bestowed upon a military unit in recognition of exceptional service rendered to the Nation, both in peace and in war.
- The Indian Navy was the first Indian Armed Force, to be awarded the President Colour by Dr Rajendra Prasad on 27 May 1951.
Consider the following statements regarding Pressurised Heavy-Water Reactor (PWHR)-
1. India's first pair of PHWRs of 220 MW each was set up at Rawatbhata
2. They use plutonium as fuel and heavy water as moderator.
Which of the above statements are correct?
- India is set to put in motion construction of 10 ‘fleet mode’ nuclear reactors over the next three years. The First Pour of Concrete (FPC) for a 700 MegaWatts (MW) Kaiga Atomic Power Plant, Karnataka units 5 & 6 are scheduled by 2023.
- The centre had approved the construction of 10 indigenously developed Pressurised Heavy-Water Reactors (PHWRs) of 700 MegaWatts (MW) each in June 2017 with a total cost of Rs 1.05 Lakh crore.
- Also by 2024, The FPC for Gorakhpur Haryana Anu Vidyut Praiyonjan units 3 & 4 and the Mahi Banswara Rajasthan Atomic Power Projects units 1 to 4 were planned to begin construction.
- And the FPC for the Chutka Madhya Pradesh Atomic Power Project units 1 & 2 are expected by 2025.
- The FPC signals the beginning of construction of nuclear power reactors from the pre-project stage which includes excavation activities at the project site.
- The Kamataka’s Kaiga Atomic Power Plant units 5 & 6 and Gorakhpur Haryana Anu Vidyut Praiyonjan units 3 & 4 were agreed to be built under Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) Model.
- Currently, India operates 22 reactors with a total capacity of 6780 MegaWatt (MW), among which one 700 MW reactor at Kakrapar Atomic Power Station in Gujarat was connected to the grid in January 2021.
About Indian Pressurised Heavy-Water Reactor – 700:
- Indian Pressurised Heavy-Water Reactor is designed by the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
- lt is a Generation III reactor developed from the earlier CANDU (Canada Deuterium Uranium-Pressurised Heavy-Water Reactor) based 220 MW and 540 MW designs.
- The Indian Pressurised Heavy-Water Reactor has been upgraded to generate electricity capacity of 700 MW.
- India’s first pair of PHWRs of 220 MW each were set up at Rawatbhata in Rajasthan in the 1960s with Canadian support (Canada Deuterium Uranium-Pressurised Heavy-Water Reactor).
- Fuel – Natural Uranium
- Moderator – Heavy Water
B B Gurung, who passed away recently, was a former chief minister of-
- Bhim Bahadur Gurung (B.B. Gurung), Former and 3rd Chief Minister(CM) of Sikkim has passed away at his residence in Lumsui in Gangtok, Sikkim. He was born on 11th October 1929 at Chakung (present-day West Sikkim), Sikkim.
About B.B. Gurung
- B. Gurung served as a teacher and a staff reporter in a Calcutta(Kolkata)-based newspaper the Amrita Bazar Patrika and he also edited the first news-based Nepali Journal of Sikkim, called Kanchenjunga.
- He started his political career with Sikkim Rajya Congress Party in 1947 and was later appointed as the General Secretary in 1958.
- In 1967, he was elected as Executive Councillor of the Sikkim Rashtriya Congress Party and remained in the party until 1971.
- He was elected to the Vidhan Sabha and served as the speaker of the First Sikkim Legislative Assembly from 1977 to 1979.
- He served as the 3rd CM of Sikkim from 11 May to 24 May 1984, the shortest term in the history of Sikkim.
- Between 2014 and 2015 he served as the political advisor to the CM of Sikkim.
Which of the following states observed its foundation day on 30th March recently?
- On 30thMarch Rajasthan Foundation Day or Rajasthan Diwas is observed to commemorate the state’s formation. On 30th March 1949, Rajasthan was formed after the merging of Rajputana into the Indian Union.
- The 73rdfoundation day of Rajasthan is being celebrated on Rajasthan Day 2022.
- Rajasthan is largest state by area in India and it is located in the country’s northwest part.
- 4 percent of the country’s geographical area is covered by Rajasthan.
- This state is home to a huge cultural diversity.
- Rajasthan is India’s seventh-largest state by population.
- Thar Desert, also known as the Great Indian Desert is a prominent part of Rajasthan.
- The state has three national tiger reserves which are Ranthambore National Park (Sawai Madhopur), Sariska Tiger Reserve (Alwar), and Mukundra Hills Tiger Reserve (Kota).
- Five Indian states border Rajasthan. They are Haryana and Uttar Pradesh to the northeast, Punjab to the north, Madhya Pradesh to the southeast, and Gujarat to the southwest. The state also shares a border with Pakistan’s Punjab and Sindh provinces.
The three-day state-level Spring Festival held in Kullu , locally known as
ANSWER – B
- The three-day state-level Spring Festival, locally known as Pipal Jatra, will be held with fervour from April 28 in Dhalpur. It is held from April 28 to 30 each year, but only religious ceremonies were held in a curtailed manner in the past two years.
- Besides the local Gouhri Devta, chief deity Lord Raghunath will also participate in the festivities.
- Kullu is a municipal council town that serves as the administrative headquarters of the Kullu district of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
- It is located on the banks of the Beas River in the Kullu Valley about 10 kilometres north of the airport at Bhuntar.
- Kullu was ruled by Koli rulers of Badani dynasty.
How much amount has been disbursed under the Mukhya Mantri Swabhilambhan Yojana to youth in the state for setting up self-employment ventures ?
ANSWER – A
- A financial assistance of over Rs 100 crore has been disbursed under the Mukhya Mantri Swabhilambhan Yojana to youth in the state for setting up self-employment ventures..
- He said that the scheme had helped in creating self-employment avenues for the youth. He called upon women to come forward to take the benefits of the yojana as the subsidy amount given to them compared to men was higher.
- CM Thakur gave away prizes to development blocks of Kangra district under the Maharishi Valmiki Swachhata Puraskar Yojana and the Balika Gaurav Puraskar Yojana.