Prime Minister Narender Modi has announced which of the following days as the ‘Veer Baal Diwas’ to mark martyrdom of Sahibzada Zorawar Singh Ji and Sahibzada Fateh Singh Ji?
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on the auspicious occasion of the Parkash Purab of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, has announced that starting this year, 26th December shall be observed as ‘Veer Baal Diwas’ to mark the martyrdom of Sahibzada Zorawar Singh Ji and Sahibzada Fateh Singh Ji.
About the announcement made by PM Modi
- This is a fitting tribute to the courage of the Sahibzades and their quest for justice. ‘Veer Baal Diwas’ will be on the same day Sahibzada Zorawar Singh Ji and Sahibzada Fateh Singh Ji attained martyrdom after being sealed alive in a wall. These two greats preferred death instead of deviating from the noble principles of Dharma.
- The bravery and ideals of Mata Gujri, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the 4 Sahibzades give strength to millions of people. They never bowed to injustice. They envisioned a world that is inclusive and harmonious. It is the need of the hour for more people to know about them.
The missiles known as Dezful, Qiam and Zolfaghar belong to which of the following countries?
- Iran displayed three ballistic missiles at an outdoor prayer esplanade in central Tehran recently as talks in Vienna aimed at reviving Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers flounder.
About the missiles
- The missiles – known as Dezful, Qiam and Zolfaghar – have official ranges of up to 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) and are already-known models.
- Diplomats from countries that remain in the 2015 nuclear deal – Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China – are working with Tehran to revive the accord, which had sought to limit Iran’s nuclear ambitions in exchange for lifting of economic sanctions.
What is HD73619 in Praesepe (M44), recently seen in news?
- A group of Indian and international scientists have spotted a peculiar binary star that shows heartbeat but no pulsations contrary to the norm of binary stars of sporting both heartbeats as well as pulsations. This star is called HD73619 in Praesepe (M44), located in the Cancer constellation, one of the closest open star clusters to the Earth.
About star with a heartbeat and without a magnetic field
- A total of about 180 heartbeat stars are known to date. The name ‘Heartbeat’ stems from the resemblance of the path of the star to an electrocardiogram of the human heart. These are the binary star systems where each star travels in a highly elliptical orbit around the common centre of mass, and the distance between the two stars varies drastically as they orbit each other. When the stars are at closest passage of binary systems, a sudden increase in integrated brightness with amplitude of the order of several parts-per-thousand (ppt) is observed. As the components move apart, the light variation falls and finally becomes flat, indicating that combined flux is reduced, resulting in alternating peaks and troughs in their light curves. The pulsational activity of such stars is due to the oscillations in the component stars when they are at their closest approach.
- A team of 33 scientists, led by Dr. Santosh Joshi from Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), an autonomous institution under the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt of India, carried out analysis of photometric and high-resolution spectroscopic observations of HD73619 obtained using 8 ground-based telescopes located in different parts of the globe. They have found that HD73619 is the first member of heartbeat systems in binary chemically peculiar stars that does not show any pulsational/vibrational activity at their closest approach.
With reference to India’s home-grown testing kit OmiSure, consider the following statements:
1. It has been developed by the Tata Medical and Diagnostics (Tata MD) to identify the Omicron variant of Covid-19.
2. Apart from identifying the B.1.1.529 (Omicron) variant, the kit can also detect any other circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants.
- India’s home-grown testing kit OmiSure, developed by the Tata Medical and Diagnostics (Tata MD) to identify the Omicron variant of Covid-19 in samples taken from the nose and throat, was approved by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) recently.
- Apart from identifying the B.1.1.529 (Omicron) variant, the kit can also detect any other circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants.
- The company said the unique test design developed by scientists at Tata MD is a single tube, fully multiplexed test (provisional patent application filed). Therefore, it has two checks in place for Omicron detection without compromising the ability to detect other SARS-CoV-2 variants.
- The kit evaluated in partnership with the ICMR reported 100 per cent sensitivity and 99.25 per cent specificity for detection of variants of SARS-CoV-2, including Omicron.
- OmiSure is the first test to use a combination of two S-gene viral targets to identify Omicron. The first target is based on S-gene dropout or S-gene target failure (SGTF) and the second target is based on S-gene mutation amplification (SGMA).
- The kit developed by a team headed by Bengaluru-based Dr V Ravi, former head of neurovirology, NIMHANS, and currently head of R&D, Tata MD, is listed on the ICMR website as the only kit approved specifically for Omicron detection.
Who among the following has been named as the secretary general of OPEC recently?
- Al-Ghais has been named as the secretary general of OPEC
- Al-Ghais, who was Kuwait’s OPEC governor from 2017 to June 2021, serves as a deputy managing director of the Kuwait Petroleum Corporation (KPC).
- His decades of experience in the industry includes stints in Beijing and London for the state oil corporation.
With reference to #BahaneChhodoTaxBachao campaign, consider the following statements:
1. It has been launched by NITI Aayog.
2. It aims at increasing awareness of Indians around the need to buy health insurance to save tax.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- SBI General Insurance launched #BahaneChhodoTaxBachao campaign
About the campaign
- SBI General Insurance’s campaign has a humorous tone to bring out the barriers people have for not buying or procrastinating to buy health insurance
- SBI General Insurance has announced the launch of a campaign to increase awareness of Indians around the need to buy health insurance to save tax.
- The campaign #BahaneChhodoTaxBachao will also underline other benefits of opting for health insurance.