The Government of India has set up the Energy Transition Advisory Committee headed by whom among the following?
- The government is planning to draw up an energy transition roadmap for the oil NSE -0.05 % and gas sector that could prove to be a key step on India’s path to net-zero emissions by 2070.
About the panel on energy transition
- The government of India has set up the Energy Transition Advisory Committee headed by former petroleum secretary Tarun Kapoor, to draft the strategy.
- The panel will include representatives of all public-sector oil and gas companies and will reach out to other stakeholders in the sector. The committee has until the middle of 2022 to recommend a roadmap for the sector’s transition.
- As part of its efforts, the committee will review and take into consideration existing initiatives while developing an action plan.
- Before his appointment as petroleum secretary, Kapoor spent several years framing policies for the power and the renewable energy sectors and has been instrumental in pushing state-run oil companies to work toward a transition plan.
With reference to the recently launched India Semiconductor Mission in India, consider the following statements:
1. The India Semiconductor Mission (ISM) is a specialised and independent business division within the Digital India Corporation.
2. It has been set up with the aim to build a vibrant semiconductor and display ecosystem to enable India’s emergence as a global hub for electronics manufacturing and design.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw launched the India Semiconductor Mission recently.
About India Semiconductor Mission
- The India Semiconductor Mission (ISM) is a specialised and independent business division within the Digital India Corporation.
- It has been set up with the aim to build a vibrant semiconductor and display ecosystem to enable India’s emergence as a global hub for electronics manufacturing and design.
- The mission is authorised to negotiate with the applicants under the semiconductor fab scheme and the display fab scheme.
- This mission has been given the autonomy to decide the appropriate technology mix, applications, node generation, capacity, among others and propose the structure and quantum of fiscal support for the selected applicants. A fab is short for fabrication plant where raw silicon wafers are processed and turned into integrated circuits.
Trincomalee oil tank farm is located in which of the following countries?
- Recently, Sri Lanka’s Energy Minister Udaya Gammanpila announced that the Indian Oil Subsidiary Lanka IOC would be given 49% stake in the joint development of the Trincomalee Oil Tank farm, with Ceylon Petroleum Corporation keeping 51%.
About the development
- The CPC has formed a special purpose company, Trinco Petroleum Terminals Ltd, and it is expected to get Cabinet approval this week.
- While the two sides will jointly refurbish 61 of the 99 tanks at the farm, 24 will be developed by CPC and 14 by LIOC. This arrangement is for the next 50 years.
- The next step is three formal agreements: two between CPC and LIOC — one for the joint development and the other for the 24 tanks to CPC — and the third between the Sri Lankan government and LIOC.
The monument Arc de Triomphe is located in which of the following countries?
- French authorities took down a temporary installation of the European Union flag from the Arc de Triomphe monument in Paris recently, after rightwing opponents of President Emmanuel Macron accused him of “erasing” French identity.
About the flag
- The giant blue flag was raised in place of a French flag on New Year’s Eve to mark France’s turn at the rotating presidency of the EU Council.
Which of the following National Parks are located in Assam?
1. Namdapha National Park
2. Manas National Park
3.Kaziranga National Park
4. Khangchendzonga National Park
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- The Assam government is awaiting clearance from the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways for a 35-km long elevated road project through the Kaziranga National Park.
- The Rs 6,000-crore road will run over nine animal corridors and an existing national highway. The basic idea behind the project is to ensure the safety of the animals.
About Kaziranga National Park
- Kaziranga National Park lies partly in Golaghat District and partly in Nagaon District of Assam.
- It is the oldest park in assam covers an area of 430 Sq kms along the river Brahmaputra on the North and the Karbi Anglong hills on the South.
- Kaziranga National Park a world heritage site is famous for the Great Indian one horned rhinoceros, the landscape of Kaziranga is of sheer forest, tall elephant grass, rugged reeds, marshes & shallow pools.
- It has been declared as National Park in 1974.
- Kaziranga National Park is one of the last areas in eastern India undisturbed by a human presence. It is inhabited by the world’s largest population of one-horned rhinoceroses, as well as many mammals, including tigers, elephants, panthers and bears, and thousands of birds.
With reference to Indian Pangolin, consider the following statements:
1. Indian Pangolin is widely distributed in India, except the arid region, high Himalayas and the North-East.
2. Its IUCN status is Critically endangered.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- The Odisha Forest and Environment Department has completed its first-ever radio-tagging of the Indian pangolin in an attempt to standardise the rehabilitation protocol for the animal in the State.
About Indian Pangolin
- Indian Pangolin is widely distributed in India, except the arid region, high Himalayas and the North-East. It can be found at elevation up to 2500 m.
- The species also occurs in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
The Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences IS SITUATED IN which of the following city?
- The Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan, has been placed in the highest band of excellent category in the Atal Rankings of Institutions on Innovations and Achievements.
- The rankings were announced recently by the Union Education Ministry. It evaluates institutions of higher learning annually for their performances with regard to innovations and achievements.
- As many as 36 of 1,200 universities in the country have found a place in this band. Shoolini University is among the top five in the northern region and the only one from Himachal.