Who among the following has won the World Athletics’ Woman of Year Award, 2021?
- World Athletics awarded sprinter Anju Bobby George as ‘Woman of the Year’ in 2021 after her efforts in advancing the sport in India as well as inspiring more women to follow her footsteps.
About Anju Bobby and World Athletics’ Woman of Year Award
- Anju, is the only Indian to win a world championship medal -bronze at the 2003 edition in Paris.
- She also clinched a gold medal at the World Athletics Final in Monte Carlo in 2005.
- Anju said their aim was not only to create champions in the sporting field but to also make them responsible citizens.
Which of the following countries form part of the G20 ‘Troika’ as of 2021?
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- Recently, India joined the G20 ‘Troika’ and with this India has started the procedure for taking over the G20 presidency next year.
About G20 ‘Troika’:
- Troika refers to the top grouping within the G20 that consists of the current, previous and the incoming presidencies — Indonesia, Italy and India.
- As a Troika member, India will work closely with Indonesia and Italy to ensure consistency and continuity of the G20’s agenda.
- India will assume the G20 presidency on 1st December 2022 from Indonesia, and will convene the G20 Leaders’ Summit for the first time in India in 2023.
- Italy hosted the G20 summit during October 30-31.
- Indonesia took over the G20 presidency from 1st December, 2021.
- It is an informal group of 19 countries and the European Union (EU), with representatives of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
- It does not have a permanent secretariat or Headquarters.
- Member countries are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the EU.
Which of the following organisations has recently released the Worldwide Cost of Living 2021 Report?
- Worldwide Cost of Living Index 2021 has released the list of cheapest and the most expensive cities in the world.
About Cost-of-Living Index 2021
- A survey is conducted by the Economist Intelligence Unit, EIU every year. This year it was conducted in September-October 2021.
- This Worldwide Cost of Living Index explores 173 cities of the world which are ranked based on “Impactful Global Events”.
- It stated that prices for goods and services have risen by 3.5 per cent year-on-year, the highest inflation rate seen in the last five years.
- Tel Aviv is the world’s most expensive cities. It was followed by Paris in second place and Singapore in third
- In 2020, Paris was the most expensive city according to the index.
- In 2021, Zurich and Hong Kong were at fourth and fifth places respectively.
- Overall, the upper rankings were dominated by developed Asian cities and European cities.
- The lowest rankings were occupied by cities in Africa, Middle East and less wealthier parts of Asia.
Who among the following has been roped in as brand ambassador of '50 Years of Arunachal Pradesh' Celebrations?
- Sanjay Dutt has been roped in as brand ambassador of ’50 Years Of Arunachal Pradesh’
- The celebrations would start from January 20 to February 20, 2022, commemorating the birth of Arunachal Pradesh as a state.
About ’50 Years of Arunachal Pradesh’ Celebrations
- The month-long state-wide celebration is scheduled to start from January 20, 2022 at Ziro in Lower Subansiri district.
- It will cover all the five river basins of the state after which the first districts were named – Kameng, Subansiri, Siang, Lohit and Tirap.
- The month-long event will culminate on February 20, 2022 during the 36th Statehood Day celebrations.
- As part of the media campaign, Sanjay Dutt will feature in a series of promotional videos on tourism in the state.
- Sanjay Dutt will also engage with local youths on a series of initiatives on substance and drug abuse, and issues that have emerged as a serious concern for the state in recent years.
Central government has formed a three-member committee to review criteria for Economically Weaker Section quota. Who among the following is the head of the committee?
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment recently announced the formation of a three-member committee to review the criteria for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) reservations.
About committee to review criteria for Economically Weaker Section quota
- The committee members are former finance secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey, member secretary of Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) V K Malhotra and principal economic advisor to the government Sanjay Sanyal. The committee has been asked to complete its work within three weeks.
- Former Finance Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey will head the committee.
- The committee will examine various approaches followed in the country so far for identifying the economically weaker sections.
- It will also send its recommendations to the Centre.
Who among the following has recently been named the Chief Executive Officer of Twitter?
- Parag Agrawal, the Chief Technology Officer of Twitter, is now taking over from Jack Dorsey as the Chief Executive Officer.
About Parag Agrawal
- Agrawal, an alumnus of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, was appointed Twitter CTO on March 8, 2018.
- Agrawal joined Twitter in October 2011 as a Distinguished Software Engineer after completing his PhD in Computer Science from Stanford University. While studying at Stanford, he worked as a research intern for Microsoft, Yahoo!, and AT&T Labs.
- The news of his appointment has led to much celebration in India where the micro-blogging platform has more than 30 million users.
With reference to AIRNxt, a programme launched by All India Radio, consider the following statements:
1. Through this programme AIR stations will allow youngsters from local colleges, universities to take part in programming, allowing them to discuss and curate youth-centric shows.
2. It is a part of the celebrations under the ongoing Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- All India Radio has decided to begin a new programme called AIRNxt to offer youth a platform to air their voices as part of the ongoing Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations.
More about youth programme AIRNxt
- Through this programme AIR stations will allow youngsters from local colleges, universities to take part in programming, allowing them to discuss and curate youth-centric shows.
- About 20,000 youth from 1,000 educational institutions will be participating during the next year from every nook and corner of India through 167 AIR stations.
- These shows would encourage the youth to speak about the achievements of the country during last 75 years of independence and where do they expect the country to reach in various fields.
- The new programme #AIRNxt is part of the celebrations under the ongoing Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.