Day-21 Answer Writing Challenge : Model Answer
Question: What steps have been taken to promote the tourism sector in Himachal Pradesh? Also mention the significance that it holds for the state? (20 marks)
- Himachal Pradesh is abundantly bestowed with natural beauty, ranging from vast tracts of high altitude Trans-Himalayas desert to dense green deodardar forest, from apple orchards to cultivated terraces, from snow-capped high Himalayan mountain ranges to snow fed lakes and gushing rivers.
- This makes the state a truly wonderful getaway.
Nai Raahein Nai Manzilein:
- To develop new tourist destinations, the state Government has implemented a
- new scheme “Nai Rahein Nai Manzilein” to develop the unexplored areas of the state from tourism point of view.
- Under this scheme, an amount of ₹50.00 crore each (total ₹250.00 crore) have been approved in the year 2018-19, 2019-20, 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23.
Swadesh Darshan Scheme:
- Ministry of Tourism has sanctioned the “Swadesh Darshan Scheme” in the year 2017 for Himachal Pradesh.
- The following projects are being executed:
- Convention Centre at Kiarighat District Solan.
- Shimla Heliport.
- Village Haat at District Kangra.
- International Standard free standing artificial climbing wall at Manali District Kullu.
- Art and Craft Centre Bhalei Mata, District Chamba.
- Maa Hateshwari Temple, Hatkoti, District Shimla.
- Installation of Signages, Ganteries, Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) and
- Wireless Fidelity (WiFi) for the entire Circuit.
- Paragliding Centre at Bir Billing, District Kangra is in progress.
Interest Subvention Scheme:
- Started by the government on 2nd july, 2020 to provide financial assistance to the entrepreneurs associated with tourism to meet the needs of daily work as these people suffered a lot due to the COVID epidemic.
Connectivity- Civil Aviation:
- There are 03 existing airports in himachal pradesh i.E. Shimla airport, kullu airport & kangra airport and 01 greenfield airport at nagchala, mandi is proposed for development /construction.
- In order to provide the connectivity and to give boost to the Tourism Industry of the State 05 new Heliports i.e. one each in Kangnidhar (District Mandi), Defence Geoinformatics Research Establishment (DGRE) Snow and Avalanche Study
- Establishment (SASE) Manali (District Kullu), Baddi (District Solan) and 02 in Shimla and Rampur (District Shimla) are being developed under Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik-2 (UDAN-2) Scheme of Government of India.
- At present there are 63 helipads in the State and 38 new helipads are being constructed by the State Government.
New Asian Development Bank Project-2 (ADB):
- A proposal of $ 291.04 Million (ADB financing US $ 233.00 Million) ₹2,095.70 crore with the financial assistance of ADB was approved by the Department of Economic Affairs.
- Tourism constitutes 7.0 per cent of Himachal’s GDP, and contributes around 14.42 per cent direct and indirect employment to the total employment in the State.