Day-20 Answer Writing Challenge : Model Answer
Question: Explain the structure of the Export Preparedness Index (EPI)? Where does Himachal Pradesh stand on the latest edition of the index? 8 marks
- India’s think tank, NITI Aayog, took a significant stride forward by establishing the first-ever EPI 2020 for Indian states and UTs, followed by its second and most recent edition, EPI 2021.
- The report was developed in collaboration with the Institute of Competitiveness.
- EPI examines state and union territory export performance and export readiness.
- The index’s goal is to create a benchmark to rank these states and UTs in order to enable them individually foster a favourable export environment in the area.
- Himachal Pradesh was ranked 2nd under Himalayan States category in EPI 2021.
- In EPI 2020, Himachal Pradesh stood 3rd. Himachal Pradesh’s score has improved in policy measures, access to finance and trade support to exporters and infrastructure which resulted in improvement in its ranking.