Day-15 Answer Writing Challenge : Model Answer
Question: What is the need of Self Help Groups? (4 marks, 60 words)
- Self Help Groups are self-governed, peer- controlled information group of people with similar socio-economic background and having a desire to collectively perform for common purpose.
- They are informal associations of people who choose to come together to find ways to improve their living conditions.
- They help to build Social Capital among the poor, especially women.
Need for self-help groups
- Villages face numerous problems related to poverty, illiteracy, lack of skills, lack of formal credit etc.
- There is a substantial percentage of rural and urban poor, who if tried individually cannot break their chains of poverty, and hence collective action is required.
- These problems cannot be tackled at an individual level and need collective efforts.
- Thus, SHG can become a vehicle of change for the poor and marginalized.
- SHG rely on the notion of “Self Help” to encourage self-employment and poverty alleviation.