HPAS/ N.T. Allied Mains 2022-23 Answer Writing Challenge: Model Answer
Question: Explain how Non Co-operation Movement & civil disobedience Movement were different with each other?
CDM Comparison with Non-Cooperation Movement
- There were some differences between the Civil Disobedience Movement and the Non-Cooperation Movement, such as:
- This time, the stated goal was complete independence, not just redressing two specific wrongs and a vaguely worded swaraj.
- The methods involved law violations from the start, not just non-cooperation with foreign rule.
- There was a decrease in protests involving the intelligentsia, such as lawyers quitting their practices and students leaving government schools to attend national schools and colleges.
- Muslim participation was far below that of the Non-Cooperation Movement.
- There was no major labor upsurge that coincided with the movement.
- The large participation of peasants and business groups compensated for the decline of other characteristics.
- This time, the number of people imprisoned was roughly three times higher.
- Congress had a better organizational structure.