HPAS/Allied Mains 2022 Answer Writing Challenge Day 108 : Model Answer
Question: What are the merits and demerits of the proportional system of representation? (4 Marks)
Answer: The merits and demerits of the proportional system of representation are:
- There is a close correspondence between votes polled and seats gained.
- Minorities and other distinct groups will have their representatives.
- Party in power will have not only seats but also an equally popular electoral base as well.
- It is tough to enforce as the quota system and ― single transferability are complex.
- It balkanized the electorate- divides them into blocks which is unhealthy for nation-building through democracy.