HPAS/Allied Mains 2022 Answer Writing Challenge Day 90 : Model Answer
Question: How Regulating Act of 1773 became the first step by the British Parliament to control and regulate the affairs of the East India Company in India ? (4 marks and 60 words)
- The major goal of enacting the Regulating Act was to keep track of the Company’s operations in India and England, as well as to eliminate any existing flaws.
- Company Retains Possessions: This act permitted the company to retain its territorial possessions in India but sought to regulate the activities and functioning of the company.
- Control over Indian Affairs: Through this act, for the first time, the British cabinet was given the right to exercise control over Indian affairs.
- Introduction of Governor-General: It changed the post of Governor of Bengal to “Governor-General of Bengal”.
- The administration in Bengal was to be carried out by the governor-general and a council consisting of four members.
- Warren Hastings was made the first Governor-General of Bengal.
- The Governor of Bombay and Madras now worked under the Governor-General of Bengal.
- Establishment of Supreme Court: A Supreme Court of judicature was to be established in Bengal (Calcutta) along with appellate jurisdictions where all subjects could seek redressal.
- It comprised one chief justice and three other judges.
- In 1781, the Act was amended and the Governor-General, the Council and the servants of the government were exempted from the jurisdiction if they did anything while discharging their duties