QUESTION Enlist the salient features of National Disaster Management Plan. (8 Marks 120 words)
|DIRECTIVE: enlist means to write down the main features
|The NDMA, 2005 required to have disaster management plans at the district, state and the National levels. Each ministry is also required to prepare separate plans in accordance with the National level plan. The first National Disaster Management Plan (NDMP) was introduced by the government in 2016 with an amendment made in 2018 to make the country disaster resilient and ensure minimization of loss of lives and assets during disasters.
|Salient features of the plan:
1. It gives a comprehensive definition of disaster. It covers 15 natural and man-made disasters, giving responsibility to different ministries for different disasters. For e.g., Tsunamis and Cyclones under Min of Earth Sciences.
2. Planning for short (5), medium (10), and long (15 years) terms to deal with disasters.
3. Integrated approach with clarity: Provisions for vertical and horizontal integration among government agencies have been stated, including the roles of Urban Local Bodies, Panchayats and district agencies to ensure that response during disasters is initiated at the regional level.
4. It is designed in a way that it can be implemented in a scalable manner during all phases of Disaster Management .
5. Community participation and building of resilience has been recognised.
6. It also states ethical guidelines for the media for coverage of disasters and self-regulation to respect the dignity and privacy of the affected people.
7. It is a dynamic document, which will be periodically improved keeping up with emerging global practices.
|NDMP has helped in improving the understanding of disaster risk, vulnerabilities and hazards and also it has strengthen the governance of disaster risk at every level, i.e., from national to local, as we saw during the pandemic time.
© 2024 Civilstap Himachal Design & Development